...Solutions Engineering - Oil . Gas . Power . Systems

• December 18, 2018, 04:13:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Week 4 Debate Topic: As an Engineer, what one thing would you Change in Nigeria?  (Read 2555 times)

ffadmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As an Engineer, if you had the opportunity to change one thing in Nigeria, what would you Change?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:13:14 AM by ffadmin »

chris10

• Non-Alumni Group
    • View Profile
if given the chance I will change the system of Engineering Education. the current system is an obvious failure with several practical Evidences the graduate Engineers do MBA and become managers in bank. it happens everywhere in the world but it is more rampant in Nigeria the bright brains that ought to be at the forefront of manufacturing and Nigeria content development in the oil and gas industries are MDS in banks and insurance companies they are successful to themselves but failures to the Engineering community. I will propose a new Engineering Educational system that takes practice very serious like medicine. after gaining entrance into university and learning pre-engineering course for 2 years there must be a compulsory vocational training to learn skills relevant to their Engineering discipline and to the industrial needs like Mechanical Engineering student can learn welding and fabrication or chemical Engineering students can learn offshore drilling methods etc these vocational training must be completed before students can resume and complete their degree. government need to build skill acquisition centres nationwide. in collaboration with the industries. graduate Engineers should be exempted from NYSC. that one year should be spent to mobilise and train them like Niger Delta millitants where trained. government can explore this opportunity to solve problems of insecurity unemployment and thuggery election violence etc. these centres will train Engineering graduates for minimum of one year on cybernetics security traffic and surveillance control, drone manufacture, automobile assembling BRT design and construction for mass transit, pipeline construction antiterrorism, mechanised Agric implement design, drilling reservoir management and production Engineering. hands on training Electrical installations facilities management etc the list is endless.

ice

• Technical Support Team
    • View Profile
Well thought out. Its good people are already thinking in the right direction. The technological transition can be acquired by re-organization of NYSC to National Youth Skills Commision (partnering with Training Centers and industries - and cost shared by government & individuals when they become productive) for engineering and science students  where core skills will be thought and others sent for apprenticeship, rather than, ending NYSC Programe.

Piitaub

• Technical Support Team
    • View Profile
I think the vocational training idea is brilliant and ‎should be encouraged because what you hear in class can be easily forgotten but that job you did "practically " will always remain part of you...... that is unless you have amnesia (Which we are not praying for)

#totsofayoungprocessengineer

confidence

• Technical Support Team
    • View Profile
well said chris, but all you've suggested would be a waste if some necessary measures aren't taken

1. Put a ban on foreign education: our leaders and those in power should send their children to Nigerian schools, then they would observe the lapses in the engineering education and fix it. just last week, Gov okorocha's son graduated with a first class in mechanical engineering from a renowned university in the UK. What happened to sending his son to FUTO,a federal university in the state he governs.

2. Put a ban on importation of 90% of items used in Nigeria. Let's test our survival rate and you will be amazed at the untapped potentials we have in Nigeria.

3. BELIEVE IN OURSELVES :

this has gone beyond changing the engineering education. this is more about educating ourselves, changing our mindset and BELIEVING IN OURSELVES. no matter the change in the engineering education, if we don't believe that our civil engineers can construct  good roads, our electrical engineers can look for solutions to the power failure, our doctors can save lives , our mechanical engineers can fabricate pipelines and build amazing automobiles  etc then everything is a WASTE. WE believe the white man has an edge over us. a white man walks into a Nigerian congregation  and discipline comes into play without speaking a word of caution. there are a lot of competent civil engineers out there but foreigners construct our roads. why wont these Nigerian engineers go into other sectors where they would feel relevant to their society . What about the mechanical engineers, YOU AND I would rather buy a Mercedes than buy a vehicle made by a Nigerian.How many of us being influential would want to have our masters in Nigeria or have our kids here in Nigeria?‎ A furniture maker who wasn't making sales in Nigeria had to export his furniture and resell them to this same Nigerians who come to the UK to shop.this same Nigerians who refused buying his furniture in Nigeria would pay more by buying it in the Uk.few days ago, I read about a man who made a tricycle using his ' I better pass my neighbour ' generator. Truth is we've sold our birth rights, our ingenuity and our skills.we've got to wake up and understand that we have all it takes to be who we want to be.lets maximize the potentials of the engineers roaming the streets, those in the banking sector and several others who are performing magic with their hands but lack the funds to further their education. I know of a young boy who built a small plane that flew for five minutes. This boy lacks the funds to further his education as those in power saw his work,was amazed,congratulated him and did nothing about it.

Enough said. Let our civil engineers construct our roads,let our mechanical engineers build our automobiles,let our electrical engineers fix our power supply.let us all build our NIGERIA, until then there would always be a problem with the engineering education.

Rufmum

• FEDP Alumni
  • Life is a mere mirage
    • View Profile
If I had the opportunity to change one thing in Nigeria, I would change our education system. Our education system is in a sorry state because we have failed to differentiate between schooling and education. Schooling is supposed to be a subset of education. Most employers want first class results from fresh graduates almost immediately. This is very difficult to find because not all that is required of a graduate in a particular company is taught in school.
There is afterschool internship in developed countries despite the fact that they have very good education systems. India is known to have some of the best institutions in engineering and medicine but their graduates still do internship to bridge the gap between classroom and industry. Only few companies are doing internship for Nigerian graduates partly because they want to save cost.
Nigerian graduates are brilliant but lack employability skills. These skills can only be achieved if our graduates are fully be integrated through internship programs.
One may argue that there is student industrial work experience scheme (SIWES) at undergraduate level but this is never enough because the time duration is short for them (students) to grasp everything required of them; and companies see them as temporary liabilities thereby wary of investing in them.

Effiong

• Technical Support Team
    • View Profile
I totally agree with the all the previous comments on this debate topic that spoke on restructuring the education system of this country. I once came across a quote by an anonymous Nigerian that said,

''While growing up, we were told that if we want to be successful, we had to go to school.
Hence we went to school, only to discover that despite being educated, we were not really successful. In fact, most of us were jobless regardless of the education''.

So what is the role of our current education system in being successful by way of adding value to the country? ‎Is education all about obtaining a certificate, or about learning to solve problems? Without argument the later should be the case but unfortunately it is not. If this is not looked into the next generation may just suffer a worse fate than the past generations.

Lets change what we groom our future leaders to be, problem solvers irrespective of the field of interest and Nigeria will be better of.