...Solutions Engineering - Oil . Gas . Power . Systems

• October 17, 2017, 04:26:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who is to blame for Nigeria's technological failure:...?  (Read 849 times)

ffadmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Who is to blame for Nigeria's technological failure:...?
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:07:38 AM »
Who is to blame for Nigeria's technological failure: The Government, The Citizens or Tribalism?

NZA

• Non-Alumni Group
    • View Profile
Re: Who is to blame for Nigeria's technological failure:...?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 06:58:17 PM »
I believe we must first define "technological failure" as it relates to Nigeria in it's present level of development. Then, in my opinion I would blame the government. Not just the present government, also previous governments, as I believe government is responsible those governed.
Then again government consists of not just those in power but also members of the society.
This means we all are to blame.

donperon

• Non-Alumni Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:37:24 AM »
I think the Government is to be blamed for not providing the right policies for technological development over the years.
Secondly, we as citizens also need to be blamed, because if the government provides the right environment for technological development but there's limited passion among the citizens to harness this technological development, it would definitely lead to decline in technological development.

adeyagunbiade

• Non-Alumni Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »
Students and their parents, not teachers are responsible for the falling standard of education in Nigeria.
The acquisition of educational degrees and certificates used to be the aim of every student and this usually was backed up with the support of parents. As a result of this, the standard of education in Nigeria was kept high and this was beneficial to both parents and students. The quest for quick wealth coupled with laziness has disrupted our educational system in the sense that students find it difficult to learn properly. To worsen the situation, parents now give support to their lazy and less-determined children. These children now choose to travel abroad for greener pastures that are not actually green, thereby leaving the schools for lizards and rats to inhabit. This has over the time posed a form of discouragement to the willing teachers, and it has led to the fall our educational standards. I believe that the fault does not come from the teachers because they have nothing to gain from teaching other than their salaries.

Wheeliams

• Non-Alumni Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »
Well, from my point of view, we are all to blame; The Government, citizens and yes tribalism.

Blame Apportioning;

The Government: First, the government has in not made any major efforts in trying to develop the country technologically, most of the tech advancements are brought about by private firms whose major aim is to make profit. The government is required to create an enabling environment for its citizens and investors (i.e. first of all provide basic amenities; light, water, good roads, proper health care).

if investors have the basic needs met then they can train the citizens in tech related education and have them employed to work instead of importing most of their tools and equipment.

Also, the insatiable thirst for wealth has lead the government to corruption, as officials are willing to take bribes so as to look the other way when investor are looting the nation of her wealth.

The Citizen:
Now we all are familiar with the saying "Think not what Nigeria / Government can do for you, think of what you can do for Nigeria/ the Government". this saying basically tells Nigerians to go to work in creating and idealizing.

Most youth these days are looking for routes to riches that they don't want to bother with proper education. this type of attitude reduces the amount of brain power required for tech advancement.

Also, those interested are either trying to make ends meet or discouraged by people who think it is a waste of time and don't believe anything good can come out of the country.

Education System:
The Nigerian education system and the educators have become so archaic that both cannot be compared to their counterparts in the western world or even in other countries with economies like ours.

the curriculum run by the education system in the country does very little to expose young Nigerians to technology, and even when it does, it puts the old technology on a silver platter and due to negligence on the pat of most educators, abandons newer advancements in technology.

If children are exposed to tech education at a tender age, it help them build a healthy interest in technology and what it stands for.

Tribalism: As awkward as it may sound, tribalism also has a portion of blame to it. the amalgamation of Northern and Southern Nigeria is celebrated this year as a major Landmark in the nations history, but it seems that even after a hundred years, only the lands are called one. The disunity of Nigerians has brought about much quarrel, squabble, and altogether lack of peace.

Two people can only move together if the have a common goal without resentments. The struggle for power by different tribes within the country has made it almost impossible for the nation to move forward as there is usually lack of continuity in the government after a new government comes into power.

These are a little of the different blames that we as Nigerians share. No one entity is to blame... we all are. Thank you.